Enrolment documents Master with international certificates

If you want to enrol in or transfer to a Master's degree programme at RUB, the documents listed on this page are mandatory. Please note that an enrolment can only take place if you have all original documents required for enrolment. The Admissions Office reserves the right to request all documents uploaded with the application in the same version and in the original for verification purposes. In order to ensure that you can be enrolled, please have all the documents mentioned on this page ready in case of doubt.

The information on this page refers to the enrolment leading to a Master's degree. If you want to enrol in any Bachelor´s degree programmes or doctoral studies, you will find your information on the page Enrolment.

The following documents are mandatory for enrolment (as uploads via Information Portal Enrolment):

  • Letter of admission, if an online application has been made
  • University entrance qualification (Abitur, Baccalauréat, Assessment test, etc.) and an officially certified translation in German or English
  • Degree certificate (Bachelor/ Master/ Diploma/ Staatsexamen etc.) about the completed studies in Germany or another country or equivalent (original certificate of completion, issued by the responsible examination office, showing subject(s), grade and date of completion)
  • Proof of the mandatory counselling interview (certificate issued by the faculty(ies) - in some cases the proof is transmitted digitally to the Registrar's Office)
  • Valid ID Card / Passport
  • Health insurance certificate (in the case of a new enrolment, further information in the box below)
  • Certificates of exmatriculation of all previous enrolments in the Federal Republic of Germany, showing the course of study (or courses of study), university semester and semester of study.

Mandatory documents depending on the case

  • Proof of sufficient knowledge of the German language, if you are an EU/EEA citizen: e.g. DSH, TestDaF (16 points), telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule or other: all accepted proofs of German language proficiency accepted at RUB are listed under Accepted proof of language proficiency
  • Proof of sufficient knowledge of French or English, if the course of study is in French or English
  • Placement certificate from the relevant subject advisor if you wish to enrol in a higher semester

Also important

For your student ID card

For a new enrolment, please upload a current photo of yourself for the student ID Card as a JPG or PNG file.

Transfer social contribution in time

The social contribution must be received within 14 days of enrolment. The Registrar's Office publishes the deadlines with the current dates for re-registration etc. early in each semester at Semester deadlines

Information about Health insurance certificate

Applicants who enroll at the Ruhr-Universität Bochum need proof of existing health insurance for enrolment. The procedure for submitting the insurance certificate has changed as of January 1st, 2022. The notification is sent directly from the insurance company to the university. Please note that paper certificates are generally no longer issued.

  • Students with statutory health insurance apply for an insurance certificate from their statutory health insurance company in good time before enrolling. The statutory health insurance company then reports all the required data digitally to the Ruhr-Universität. Nevertheless, please upload a scan of your insurance card to the enrollment information portal so that we can compensate for any delays in the digital registration process.
  • Students with private health insurance who wish to remain so during their studies require a so-called exemption certificate. You can get this from your last german statutory health insurance fund or from any german statutory health insurance fund (if you have never had statutory health insurance). A certificate from private insurance alone is not sufficient. In any case, you must contact a german statutory health insurance company so that they can certify that you are exempt from the statutory insurance obligation. The statutory health insurance company sends the required certificate digitally to the Ruhr-Universität. Please ensure that you obtain the required certificate in good time before submitting your application and seek advice on the formalities from a statutory health insurance company. In addition, please upload proof of private health insurance (e.g. certificate, card, etc.) to the enrolment information portal.
  • If in doubt (e.g. if you are insured abroad), please contact your health insurance company or seek advice from a statutory health insurance company in Germany.

If you change your health insurance company during your studies, notify the student secretariat immediately by submitting a new insurance certificate.

Bildliche beispielhafte Darstellung eines Doktorhuts
To top