Application for international prospective students

Are you an international applicant and would like to study at Ruhr-Universität Bochum?

Please check first whether your financing is secure and inform yourself about our programmes offered.

Please note that you must apply for all degree programmes (with restricted admission and free admission).

The online application is only possible during limited periods:

  • For the winter semester: from the beginning of June to 15 July
  • For the summer semester: from the beginning of December to 15 January

Accepted proof of German language proficiency

All bachelor’s degree and state examination programmes as well as the majority of master’s degree programmes are taught in German. Only certain proof of language proficiency is accepted at Ruhr-Universität Bochum.

Please note that there may be additional language requirements for some degree programs, which may have to be proven during enrolment. Please inform yourself about this in time via our study program.

Proof of German language proficiency accepted at RUB

  • TestDaF with at least 16 points within an examination
  • DSH (level 2 or 3)
  • Deutsches Sprachdiplom - DSD - II
  • ZOP or Goethe-Zertifikat C2 from the Goethe-Institut
  • KDS or GDS from the Goethe-Institut
  • ÖSD language certificate C1
  • telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule
  • German part of the assessment test (Feststellungsprüfung)

If you do not have sufficient language skills, you can find information on some German courses here:

Degree programmes taught in English

For the exclusively English-language master’s degree programmes, you do not have to prove any German language skills, but you have to provide proof of proficiency in English. Please gain information about the accepted proof of language proficiency in advance on the degree programme pages. You will find the websites for the degree programmes and initial information in the programmes offered.

Application for bachelor’s/state examination degree programmes

Have you already completed school or studies abroad (EU and non-EU), have no German citizenship and would like to start a bachelor’s or state examination degree programme at Ruhr-Universität Bochum?

When applying for a bachelor’s degree, your nationality is decisive:

EU/EEA citizens

EU citizens are on an equal footing with German applicants. You belong to the group of EU citizens if:

  • You have European citizenship, or
  • You are married to a European citizen, or
  • Your child or parents have European citizenship, or
  • You have a school or university degree certificate from a member state of the EU.

Non-EU citizens

You belong to the group of non-EU citizens if you have certificates from abroad (non-EU) and no German or European citizenship.

Other applicant groups

Separate regulations apply to German citizens with international certificates.

If you do not want to begin your bachelor’s/state examination degree programme in the 1st subject semester, you can apply for an advanced semester.

If you would like to apply for a possible lottery procedure, you can find all the information here.

Application for Master’s degree programmes

Have you already completed your studies abroad, have no German citizenship and would like to study a master’s programme at Ruhr-Universität Bochum? Then you can apply simply and electronically online.

Application hotline

Bewerbung bis Einschreibung: Der Weg an die RUB
To top