Enrolment Master national

If you want to enrol in or transfer to a Master's degree programme at RUB, the documents listed on this page are mandatory. Please note that an enrolment can only take place if you have the original of all documents required for enrolment. The Admissions Office reserves the right to request all documents uploaded with the application in the same version and in the original for verification purposes. In order to ensure that you can be enrolled, please have all the documents mentioned on this page ready in case of doubt.

The information on this page refers to the enrolment of aplicants with a german degree or german nationality leading to a Master's degree. If you want to enrol for other degree programmes or doctoral studies, you will find your information on the page Enrolment.

The following documents are mandatory for enrolment (as uploads via Information Portal Enrolment):

  • Letter of admission, if an online application has been made
  • University entrance qualification (Abitur, High School certificate etc.)
  • Examination certificate (Bachelor/Master/ Diploma etc.) about the completed studies in Germany or another country or equivalent (original certificate of completion, issued by the responsible examination office, showingsubject(s), grade and date of completion)
  • Proof of the obligatory counselling interview (certificate issued by the faculty(ies) - in some cases the proof is transmitted digitally to the Registrar's Office)
  • Valid ID Card / Passport
  • Certificates of exmatriculation of all previous enrolments in the Federal Republic of Germany, showing the course of study (or courses of study), university semester and semester of study, with a copy to remain at the Ruhr-Universität Bochum
  • Health insurance certificate (urther information in the box below)

Mandatory documents depending on the case

  • If applicable a certificate of service for the completed military or civilian service or the voluntary social/ecological year or the development service, if it is a course of study with restricted admission and you have performed a recognised service within the meaning of the law for at least 6 months in the Federal Republic of Germany, detailed information can be found on the website of the Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth)
  • Proof of sufficient knowledge of the German language e.g. TestDaF with at least 16 points within an exam, DSH (level 2 or 3), DSD - II, telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule etc, if you are an EU foreigner (or equivalent).
  • Proof of sufficient knowledge of French or English, if the course of study is in French or English
  • Placement certificate from the relevant subject advisor if you wish to enrol in a higher semester

Also important

For your student ID card

For a new enrolment, please upload a current passport photo for the student ID as a JPG or PNP file.

Transfer social contribution in time

The social contribution must be received within 14 days of enrolment. The Registrar's Office publishes the deadlines with the current dates for re-registration etc. early in each semester at Semester deadlines

Information about Health insurance certificate

Applicants who enrol at the Ruhr-Universität Bochum for the first time must present proof of existing health insurance to be able to enrol. Subsequent submission of insurance certificates is generally not possible. Therefore, please take care of the relevant formalities in good time.

  • Students with statutory health insurance have their health insurance company issue a special "insurance certificate for enrolment at a university". You will need this when you enrol online, as it contains the necessary information.
  • Students with private health insurance who would like to remain so during their studies require a so-called exemption certificate ("Befreiung von der gesetzlichen Versicherungspflicht"). You can obtain this from your last statutory health insurance company or from any statutory health insurance company (if you have never been insured in germany before).
  • In cases of doubt (e.g. if you are insured abroad) please contact your health insurance company or seek advice from a statutory health insurance company in Germany.

If you change your health insurance company during your studies, notify the student secretariat immediately by submitting a new insurance certificate.

To top