Accommodations: important info

Radio Rundfunkbeitrag
Sender einstellen am Radio

Ongoing expenses: TV licence fee

The licence fee finances all radio, TV and online programmes provided by public broadcasting companies. Each household in Germany is obliged to pay a licence fee, regardless if it owns any TV or radio sets.

The licence fee is paid by only one person per household
A licence fee has also to be paid for a second home. However:
If a person of legal age has registered their apartment with the GEZ, i.e. the authority that charges the licence fee, the fee covers the entire household with all TV, radio and online devices as well as all private cars of all people residing in that apartment. In that case, all other residents (for example housemates in a shared apartment) can opt out from paying the licence fee, indicating the person who does pay it on behalf of the entire household.

Important distinction: rooms in student halls are considered individual apartments if they open into a corridor that is accessible by the general public.

Exemption from licence fee
Students who receive a student loan (BAföG), vocational training grants (“Berufsausbildungsbeihilfe”), or other monies paid by a social security office are potentially eligible for an exemption from licence fee. The exemption may be approved retroactively for three years, if the relevant statements for that period can be produced. In that case, the person cannot represent the entire household, i.e. render it exempt from licence fee.

In some cases, people with disabilities or people suffering from chronic diseases can also be granted a reduction (RF label in the German disabled identification card “Schwerbehindertenausweis”, or an international equivalent) or exemption from licence fee.

Registration and exemption applications can be submitted online via the ARD ZDF Deutschlandradio website

Studenten entspannen auf der Wiese vor dem Bergbaumuseum.

Exploring Bochum

The most important thing for all student is: getting to know Bochum and the Ruhr metropole! Culture, leisure or clubbing – there’s a lot to see and to experience, with a dash of the famous “Ruhrpott” charm. A good start is our UniverCitytour, organised by student for students, which gives you the opportunity to meet new people – or you can set off exploring by yourself with our Citytourkarte. You will soon realise that Bochum’s students don’t limit themselves to the pub district Bermudadreieck when they go out to socialise or go clubbing.

Für den Umzug: Transporter mieten

If you still have to move, you will be looking for an affordable moving truck or van. AStA, the RUB’s general students’ committee, collaborates with the transport rental company Studibus. Learn more on the AStA website.

Offer for International Students

If required, members of RUBiss, the International Student Service, will accompany international students who don’t speak any German to the appointments.

Leben aus dem Koffer
Studentin mit Koffer

Mal eben unterkommen: Übernachtung und kurzfristiges Wohnen

Während der Vorkurse oder der Wohnungssuche, bei einzelnen Veranstaltungen oder wenn sich Besuch aus der Heimat ankündigt: Manchmal ist ein günstiges Bett nur für wenige Tage oder Wochen gefragt.

Hier bietet etwa das Landesspracheninstitut der RUB seinen Sprachkursteilnehmern, aber auch anderen Besuchern der Ruhr-Universität Übernachtungsmöglichkeiten direkt im Institutsgebäude an.

Auch Bochumer Hostels bieten günstige Übernachtungsmöglichkeiten.

Studierende, die nur mittelfristig eine (möblierte) Wohnung oder ein Zimmer suchen, können ebenfalls bei Wohnungsbörsen nach Angeboten zur Zwischenmiete suchen oder lokale Anbieter anfragen, die monatsweise vermieten.

To top