Documents required for enrolment Bachelor/State Examination/Magister Theologiae (For NON-EU/EEA-Applicants)

In order to be able to enrol, you first need a letter of admission. For this purpose, you must apply and - if you are admitted – register online on time. Please note that an enrolment can only take place if you have the original of all documents required for enrolment. The Admissions Office reserves the right to request all documents uploaded with the application in the same version and in the original for verification purposes.

The information on this page refers to the enrolment of Non-EU-applicants in degree programmes leading to a Bachelor's degree/Staatsexamen/Magister Theologiae. If you belong to a different group of applicants or if you want to enrol for Master's degree programmes or doctoral studies, you will find the correct information on the page Enrolment.

The following documents are mandatory for enrolment (as uploads via the Information Portal Enrolment):

  • Letter of admission; Please note that if you do not yet have a German university degree, you will usually be enrolled via the admissions information portal.
  • University entrance qualification; (High School certificate, Baccalauréat, Assessment test, etc.) and an officially certified translation in German or English
  • Degree certificate (Bachelor/ Master/ Diploma etc.); if you have completed your studies both in the Federal Republic of Germany and/or abroad
  • Proof of sufficient knowledge of the German language; e.g. TestDaF with at least 16 points within an exam, DSH (level 2 or 3), DSD - II, telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule etc.
  • Valid ID Card / Passport
  • Health insurance certificate; (in the case of a new enrolment, further information in the box below)

The following documents are required in addition if...

... you were already enrolled at a university in the Federal Republic of Germany:

  • Certificate of exmatriculation including a certificate of enrolment showing your previous course(s) of study and the number(s) of semesters at the university in Germany
  • Certificates of exmatriculation of all previous enrolments in the Federal Republic of Germany, showing the course of study (or courses of study), university semester and semester of study.

... subject-specific documents are required for individual subjects:

  • Proof of sufficient knowledge of French or English, if the course of study is in French or English/bilingual. Accepted certificates can be found via the respective department's website.
  • Certificate of successful completion of the sports aptitude test of RUB or the DSHS Cologne for the study programmes Sports Science (Bachelor)
  • For the subject Classical Philology the Latinum or Graecum, depending on the choice of major field of study, must be proven.

... you would like to enrol for a higher semester:

  • Letter of admission, for subjects with restricted admission an application must have been submitted (note the application deadline)
  • Certificate of classification issued by the competent academic adviser(s) required.
  • In the case of admission to the clinical study section (medicine), the certificate of successful completion of the preliminary medical examination
  • In the case of admission for the practical year (PJ) in the medical degree programme: the letter of admission from the Faculty of Medicine at RUB and the certificate of the passed preliminary medical examination

For more information on entering higher semesters, see the page Advanced semesters.

Also important

For your student ID card

For a new enrolment, please upload a current photo of yourself for the student ID Card as a JPG or PNG file.

Transfer social contribution in time

The social contribution must be received within 14 days of enrolment. The Registrar's Office publishes the deadlines with the current dates for re-registration etc. early in each semester at Semester deadlines

Information about Health insurance certificate

Applicants who enroll at Ruhr University Bochum need proof of existing health insurance for enrolment. The procedure for submitting the insurance certificate has changed as of January 1st, 2022. The notification is sent directly from the insurance company to the university. Please note that paper certificates are generally no longer issued.

  • Students with statutory health insurance apply for an insurance certificate from their statutory health insurance company in good time before enrolling. The statutory health insurance company then reports all the required data digitally to Ruhr University Bochum. Nevertheless, please upload a scan of your insurance card to the enrollment information portal so that we can compensate for any delays in the digital registration process.
  • Students with private health insurance who wish to remain so during their studies require a so-called exemption certificate. You can get this from your last german statutory health insurance fund or from any german statutory health insurance fund (if you have never had statutory health insurance). A certificate from private insurance alone is not sufficient. In any case, you must contact a german statutory health insurance company so that they can certify that you are exempt from the statutory insurance obligation. The statutory health insurance company sends the required certificate digitally to Ruhr University Bochum. Please ensure that you obtain the required certificate in good time before submitting your application and seek advice on the formalities from a statutory health insurance company. In addition, please upload proof of private health insurance (e.g. certificate, card, etc.) to the enrolment information portal.
  • If in doubt (e.g. if you are insured abroad), please contact your health insurance company or seek advice from a statutory health insurance company in Germany.

If you change your health insurance company during your studies, notify the student secretariat immediately by submitting a new insurance certificate.

Bildliche beispielhafte Darstellung eines Doktorhuts
To top