Registrar’s Office


You are planning to leave Ruhr University Bochum (RUB)? Apply for formal exmatriculation at the Registrar’s Office, where you will be issued with the relevant certificate.

Exmatriculation is a necessary formality, not only after you have successfully completed your studies, but also when you transfer to another university, drop out of university or take a longer break from your studies.

If you wish to exmatriculate after graduating, you must remain enrolled at Ruhr-Universität until your final exam. This includes the Bachelor’s resp. Master’s thesis.

Before exmatriculation

Please return all books that you have borrowed from the university or institute libraries before exmatriculation. Likewise, you may no longer have any state-owned equipment in your possession.

You should print out your records of achievement and similar documents from eCampus before exmatriculation. This will no longer be possible after exmatriculation.

You should therefore:

  • check all your courses and have them updated if necessary,
  • compile your modules and
  • print out your Transcript of Records

Exmatriculation by post or email

Please submit

  • the completed exmatriculation application
  • in the case of exmatriculation by post, please include an envelope addressed to yourself with sufficient postage so that the exmatriculation certificate can be returned to you

to: or

Ruhr-Universität Bochum
D – 44780 Bochum

Refund of the social contribution and exmatriculation shortly after enrolment

If your social contribution has already been paid, the Registrar’s Office can refund it in full before the start of the next semester only if you have not taken any exams in the new semester.

Under other circumstances and after the new semester has begun, you can apply for a refund from the Asta.

If you are offered a place at another university at a late stage and wish to accept it, you can have your enrolment at RUB cancelled at the Registrar’s Office.

In this case, you will be refunded the social contribution if you present the notification of admission or certificate of study from the other university or if you can credibly confirm that you have only now been admitted to another university.

Please return your RUB Card and – if possible – all documents you received during enrolment to the Registrar’s Office.

What if I simply don’t re-register?

It strongly recommended to pay the social contribution in order to re-register for the next semester. If you fail to do so, you will be automatically exmatriculated.

Active and formal exmatriculation is advisable, because you will receive an exmatriculation certificate from us.

You will need it, for example, if you want to enrol at another German university at a later date, but you may also need it to present to authorities such as the family insurance fund, the employment office and the health insurance fund. In addition, the exmatriculation certificate will later serve as proof of the duration of your studies for the pension insurance institution.

After exmatriculation: join the alumni network

Once you’ve left Ruhr-Universität Bochum, you can stay in touch with your university as alumni. This allows you to stay in touch with your university, your fellow students and colleagues even years after you’ve graduated.

Register in the Alumni Network and take full advantage of its many benefits and services for alumni.

Registrar’s Office
To top