The semester fee, which all RUB students have to pay, also includes the cost of two tickets.
- for public transport in the Ruhr area (VRR)
- for the regional transport of the Deutsche Bahn in North Rhine-Westphalia (NRW)
In summary, both offers are referred to as the semester ticket.
VRR Ticket and NRW Ticket: Two in one
All of the students at RUB can use the services of the Verkehrsbund Rhein-Ruhr (VRR), the regional trains of Deutsche Bahn and other providers such as Abellio GmbH in North Rhine-Westphalia. This includes the use of all buses, subways, trams, suburban trains, and local trains. ICE and IC, as well as first-class seats, cannot be used.
Different conditions: Take people and bicycles with you free of charge
With the semester ticket, RUB students in the VVR area can take one person free of charge on public transport from 7 pm on weekdays and all day on weekends and on public holidays. A bicycle can also be carried free of charge throughout the day.
The semester ticket is valid from 1 April to 30 September for the summer semester and from 1 October to 31 March for a winter semester.
How do I get the semester ticket?
The VRR and NRW tickets are made available to all students as a PDF file via E-Campus, which they have to download or print out themselves. Visiting and guest students are not entitled to the ticket. Students on a leave of absence are also not entitled to the semester ticket, the social contribution is reduced accordingly.
As an alternative to E-Campus, there is a website from which the ticket can be downloaded without an ID card reader using a login ID and password.
The new semester ticket can always be printed starting 15 March (for a summer semester) and 15 September (for a winter semester).
Important requirement: The semester fee must have been transferred to RUB in due time and you must be re-registered.
Inspection and identity card
The ticket is valid in conjunction with an official photo ID such as an identity card or passport.
The following are valid as proof of the semester ticket at all ticket checks
- either a printout of the PDF (in original size, on white paper)
- or a download that you carry with you on a mobile device.
The following applies
- The device must be loaded and fully functional when the offers are used.
- It must be possible to display certain ticket features: Name, date of birth, barcode in a minimum size of 2.5 x 2.5 cm (if necessary by zooming).
- If these conditions are not met during a check, this will be treated as a journey without a valid ticket.
Students have the option of taking out a subscription to upgrade their semester ticket to the Deutschland-Ticket, which is valid across the whole of Germany. The subscription for this surcharge can be cancelled monthly.